May 7, 2007

Open Letter to Philip Klein

Dear Philip;

I heard the portion of your weekly radio show devoted to me and the Decline of Kline this past Saturday. Based on the number of local commercials that I heard during your two hours on the air, I'm guessing I'll probably pick up at least 5 or 6 new readers from that mention. Thanks!

While I certainly appreciate the mention, it's not necessary. Word is apparently spreading about this site. As an example, this blog was also mentioned on MegaDump last week. Who knows - maybe I'll even show up in Mr. Sluggo's Top 30.

Some observations on your statements:

1) Calling your radio show "the area's only radio blog" is an oxymoron. Since a blog is short for a web log, your radio show is really a radio show about a web log. This is typical of your basic misunderstanding of most issues, but in the greater scheme of things, this one is no big deal.

More importantly, that claim is a blatant falsehood. Drudge has had a two-hour show on KLVI for the past 10 years or so. I bet Drudge's ratings are better than yours, too.

2) Attributing the reason that I'm not displayed on your front page to the anonymity of this blog is another lie. The Trog Blog (Beaumont Underground) is anonymous, yet you regularly comment on that blog in Tidbits and a link is included on your front page. I really don't care if this site is displayed on your front page or not, but at least have the integrity to admit the truth: your ego is too fragile to allow regular criticism of your confused opinions.

3) I had to laugh when you claimed that you've only briefly looked at this site once or twice. I know you check here frequently - you are as subtle as a 9 pound hammer...that's funny, no matter who you are. According to my own anonymous sources, this blog has become one of your daily stops while combing the Internet looking for any mention of your name.

As an example, I particularly liked your recent exchange on the relatively unknown legal blog, De Novo:

Break Another Little Piece of My Door
by PG

Oh, to be writing an exam about
press rights again...

[
Port Arthur Precinct 8 Justice of the Peace Tom Gillam III] will be seeing a different side of the bench on April 23, as he makes an appearance as the plaintiff in a case filed against a local blogger.Gillam filed a legal case Wednesday morning in the 58th District Court against Philip Klein, said Brent Coon, one of Gillam’s two legal representatives."Philip Klein recently stated on the website 'Southeast Texas Political Review 2007' that Gillam recently engaged in an inappropriate sexual act with a woman at the (Port Arthur) courthouse," a statement released Wednesday by Coon and Beaumont attorney Gerald W. Eddins on Gillam's behalf, read. [Question: what would be an appropriate sexual act in which to engage at a courthouse?]"

Klein further stated in the same article that an employee walked in on Judge Gillam during the alleged act, became upset and left the courthouse in a manner that caused a glass door to break. This story is patently false, malicious and defamatory."Coon said Gillam is seeking unspecified damages from Klein and Klein Investments, Inc. of Nederland for the "damage done to his reputation and good name of his family." The judge's version of how the glass door broke is reported here.

Personally, I just want to sue SETX Political Review for inflicting emotional distress through heinous web design...

To which you replied:

Ouch - you do not like our design?

Philip R. Klein Editor

Posted by:
Philip R. Klein at April 20, 2007 11:52 PM
PG's reply was priceless:

I think you have a great concept with regard to focusing on local politics -- many commentators have said that this is really what "citizen journalism" is supposed to be about. In particular, having mp3s available of the last radio show you've done is excellent. And clearly you're successfully annoying the area powerful.

But yes, the web design is terrible. Unless the website is solely intended as advertising for Klein and Associates Political Relations/ Klein Investments, Inc., there's no reason to have that and the PO Box and phone number be the first thing that a visitor to the site sees.

1) Standard web design would put at the bottom of the page pretty much everything that you've put at the top: the statcounter, sponsor name, contact info, etc.

2) There are no permanent links to the individual articles and editorials. Suppose I want to direct my readers to your editorial "The Offer." There's not really any way I can get them directly to it. You seem to change the content on the URL http://www.setpoliticalreview.com/edtitorial.htm regularly, so there's no stable way to see "The Offer."

3) Confusion between news and opinion. Today's "top story" on Sheryl Crow is really an editorial, yet it is not categorized with the other editorials. SETPR is not breaking a story here -- it is copying information from the national media and commenting on it.

4) Copyediting slows down the process of getting the message out, but it goes a long way to making a website look more professional and thus more likely to be taken seriously. The Sheryl Crow remarks are rife with grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors. No matter how good a point the writer is making, if I am an educated person who judges others based on their literacy (as most people do -- hence the social bias against Ebonics and other non-standard forms of English), then I am not going to bother reading this article because I will quickly dismiss the author as too careless to be likely to have informed, well-thought-out ideas.

Posted by: PG at April 23, 2007 01:18 PM

Bear in mind that PG's take was based on a one-time visit to your site. He obviously doesn't realize that no permanent links exist because you don't want anyone keeping track of past statements for accountability. Nor does he realize that any confusion between news and opinion is purely intentional. That is, if you truly know the difference between news and opinion.

I thought his fourth comment was the funniest, however. He apparently doesn't realize that those aren't mistakes in editing; rather, they're quite representative of your abilities, as evidenced by your frequent malapropisms such as "copy write" for "copyright" and "liable" for "libel."

If only PG knew you like we do - I'm sure he'd also have something to say about your fictitious sources, your personal agenda poorly disguised as political commentary, and your truculent attempts at bullying others.

Sincerely yours,

The Gutless Mr. Anonymous

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

The following is quoted by PG at DeNovo blog. It only proves that Klein is a chronic liar.

PG Is Impersonated
by PG
Having said my last say on the AutoAdmit controversy, I was surprised to find myself getting pulled into a different fight between the named and anonymous: Philip Klein, whose web design on the Southeast Texas Political Review I critiqued in passing while commenting on a lawsuit against him, and "The Gutless Mr. Anonymous" at The Decline of Klein. The latter quoted my criticisms in his blog attacking Mr. Klein, and Mr. Klein replied. As I mentioned in the earlier De Novo post, SETPR's links are unstable, so I've copied his post after the jump. The part that worried me was this, in reference to my De Novo post:

DOK : As an example, I particularly liked your recent exchange on the relatively unknown legal blog, De Novo:

Response : I know - I had never heard about that site. He gives good advice. Oh... and he called me. Nice guy. Wanted to tell me what he thought of the lawsuit. Funny thing what others see out there looking into Jefferson County.
Unless I have been sleep-calling radio shows, I never have called Mr. Klein. I am a little distubed by the thought that someone could have seen my post and decided to call Mr. Klein, pretending to be me, so I'm hoping that his remark about having called him was a joke, or actually intended to reference someone other than me.

Continue reading "PG Is Impersonated"

Anonymous said...

Little Fillup's been in the broadcast biz for two years and still hasn't figured out that more listeners mean more sponsors. No sponsors mean no listeners.

Anonymous said...

Klien said there were 9 blogs that had come after him in his last editorial. He can't even keep his story straight.

Anonymous said...

filup sez' "we love success"! What's the measurement of success for the setpr? Advetisements? There aren't any. Hits? We don't know if the counter is genuine. Journalism awards? None I've ever heard of. Recognition by the SET Press Club? Nary a mention! Newsworthy or credible? No acclaims from anyone I've heard of. "Success" is likely measured in filup's head, much like his sources. Filup is totally oblivious to his idiocy.

Anonymous said...

Philip is a true legend in his own mind.